Monday 27 July 2015

No 1 Low-carb Baking Mix



A lot of my recipes are based on this; a gluten-free low-carb mix that gives a nice flavour and a reasonably open texture in baking.  And, as the White Knight says in “Alice”, it’s my own invention.  It keeps well for a month or so in a screw-top jar, though I wouldn’t recommend storing it much longer than that as the fat content could make it go rancid.  I mix up a batch of this and then use it up over the following weeks.  

Like all my baking, this uses ingredients that are easily found provided you live in or near an urban area with a health food shop.  Dried milk is very widely available and, at least in the UK, you can normally buy all the slightly more unusual things at Holland and Barrett and most independent health food shops.  And I’m sure all of them can be ordered online.

The one big problem with Baking Mix No 1 is that it isn’t nut-free; the secret ingredient of a lot of my gluten-free baking is ground almonds.   I’m still working on the challenge of a nut-free version; early attempts have not been terribly successful but I will share any breakthroughs, so watch this space.  It would be nice to be able to bake a cake that both my brothers would eat...

Ingredients

3 oz/ 80g/ scant 1 cup soya flour
1 ½ oz/ 40g/ heaped 1/3 cup dried skim milk powder
2 oz/ 55g/ heaped 2/3 cup ground almonds
5 ½ oz/ 150g/ 1 ½ cups linseed meal aka ground flaxseeds

Method
Empty into a bowl and stir together thoroughly, pressing out the lumps in the soya flour, then spoon into a storage container with a good tight screw top.  Makes 12 oz/ 325g/ 3 ½ cups.  Keeps for a couple of months in an airtight jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment